My sweet celiac and youngest, Izzy

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Sundays

Sundays are about rest, recovery from the busy week, church, familyand food.  In this house it is also about meal planning, getting prepared for the week ahead and just plain organization.  You have to realize, having a child with celiacs and dealing with 3 other kids who aren't I have to plan/make breakfast, lunch, afternoon snack AND dinner, not just a meal plan for dinners.  Add in crafts and sometimes the weekly planning takes all day.  I don't want my kids to be bored with food and I'm super picky about ingredients so it's a lengthy process that most people wouldn't take the time to do or have the patience with.  This week I'm going to break apart each aspect of my planning and give you some ideas.  Yes, Pinterest has become my best friend as it just makes my life easier!

Let's start with my breakfast plan for this week.  I've had several people specifically request ideas in this department.  Mornings are hectic no matter who you are.  I try to stock as many things in my freezer as possible.  But healthy too.  Sometimes that can be trying.  I will buy organic fruits and put them in individual baggies for smoothies, smart healthy muffins (bite size and regular size - banana, carrot, blueberry, and even choc chip filled with flax and chia seeds), quick breads (zucchini, banana, apple, pumpkin also loaded with flax and chia) and pancakes ( all flavors, silver dollar sized).  Usually I just make a double batch of whatever I'm making for the day and freeze everything else so week day mornings especially are super quick.

This week I wanted to change things up some...
Here are my breakfast ideas are:

Sunday night I baked banana bread, I followed the general directions for Pamela's baking mix, added extra banana and used organic coconut palm sugar as my sweetener as well as flax and chia seeds.  I let it cool, sliced and toasted it with coconut spreadable butter with some fruit on the side for Monday's breakfast. 

Breakfast pizzas is next up.  For those of you who aren't Gfree you can toast some buttered or coconut spread English muffins. For those of you who are Gfree - I'm not a huge fan of what is out there for Gfree English muffins.  Lets be honest, they are awful.  For Izzy, I have used Schar's par-baked ciabatta rolls split in half and toasted lightly in the oven as well as making actual gfree pizza dough/cornbread in whoopee pie tins for the base.  Add a TBSP olive oil or coconut oil, some Gfree sausage/peppers/potatoes if you wish and sauté until cooked through (spices, marinara and sunny side up egg are all added if you choose), beat a couple of eggs and push sausage mix to the side and scramble the eggs in the other side of the pan.  Top your base  with the mixture and add some cheese and toast in the oven until melted  and serve!!

Breakfast casserole is also on the list.  You may use Gfree potatoes (shredded or diced), sausage, bacon, peppers, onions, eggs, everything and put it in the crock pot or oven, chives, cheese and plain organic greek yogurt are also among the add in and thing you want.  You don't have to make it with meat, it's just an option. No crust needed! A great Gfree start of protein to the day!

Yogurt with berries or whatever fruit of the season is in, even homemade applesauce/apple pie filling or pumpkin in the fall

This muffin recipe is THE BOMB...using all organic ingredients, homemade when you can and subbing both cups of flour that are not gfree for Pamela's or your favorite gfree blend and gfree oats....this is an amazing favorite in our house! You can def sub coconut yogurt or your fav non dairy, add nuts if you aren't allergic, flax, chia, or even dried fruits  http://reallifedinner.com/the-best-toddler-muffins/

Finally pancake dippers.  I reserve these for the weekends.  WHAT IS NOT TO LOVE about crispy bacon doused in Gfree pancake????? and dipped in 100% maple syrup?? This you'll need a skillet for. Make your favorite pancake batter, gfree or otherwise and cook the bacon.  I choose to cut the bacon package in half and bake the bacon for 20 minutes @350 F in the oven the drain.  Put bacon on skillet then drop ice cream scoop sized  pancake batter on top of the bacon and cook like a pancake.  A little side of maple syrup or agave and YUM!!!

Tomorrow's got Lunches and afternoon snacks!


No comments:

Post a Comment